I have recently had my own sight scare. After accidentally leaving my contact lenses in overnight I developed an ulcer which required emergency treatment. I can't stress enough, how important it is to take care of your eyes, I was very lucky but others are not.
Word Sight Day, October 9th 2008, is an annual day of awareness coordinated by the Vision 2020 Global Initiative and the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB). Its aim is to raise global attention concerning the current reality of 300 million people living with blindness and vision impairments worldwide. On WSD, Vision 2020 members work together to:
- Raise awareness of vision impairments and blindness, an international public health issues.
- Involve and influence governing health ministries to distribute funds and resources for national blindness prevention programs.
- Inform of targeted assemblies of the Vision 2020 initiative, as well as generating more support for its program activities.
- About 300 million people are living with a serious vision impairment
- 90 % live in developing countries with little chance of proper treatment.
- More than 80 % of the people living with blindness are over 50 years of age
- Yet 75 % of blindness cases are preventable, curable, or treatable. Over 150 million people live with defective eyesight simply because of uncorrected refractive errors.
Lens shopper is a great website that can help you find the best deals on contact lenses on the web.